After a little Twitter conversation I had this evening, I felt the need to reflect in a few more than 140 characters.
A smell can be one of the most powerful memory triggers. Do you remember what school smelled like when you were a child? Here are just a few odors that bring back images from my school days. See if any of these bring back memories for you…
- Opening a new box of Crayola crayons.
- Flipping through the pages of a dusty old World Book Encyclopedia.
- Paste. (The kind with the stick in the lid.)
- Tempera paint. (Especially if it has gone bad.)
- White out.
- Chalk dust. (Ever have the job of cleaning the erasers?)
And of course, the best smell of all…
- A paper handout fresh out of the ditto machine.
I wonder what smells our students will remember?